Hands on Class, July 22, 2023: Saturday or Sunday in April at our Carlisle, PA location (planned for Saturday from 9am-noon, rain date is Sunday, July 23 from 2pm-5pm). $50 per person (you may bring one free guest). The class content will assume that you already have bees, and the content will vary from our spring class.
- Inspection of multiple hives and what to look for during the late summer
- Doing a Varroa mite check
- Discussion of multiple Varroa mite treatments
- Late summer queen discussion
- Marking a queen
- Late summer and fall nutritional considerations
You (and your guest, if bringing a guest) will need to bring a bee suit (at minimum a veil). Nitrile gloves will be available, if you have NEW bee gloves, you may bring those (bio security protocol—not negotiable). You may also wish to bring a snack, if you will be hungry. Please bring a folding chair. Hands on components will be in the sun, but we have a covered area for discussion time, if you will need to be out of the sun. We will have a restroom and water available, and the farm shop will be open after the class, if you need any supplies. This class is not recommended for children under 12 years of age, and a Parent or Adult Guardian must be on site with any children under the age of 18.
Walnut Farm Bees LLC Liability Acknowledgement:
- I do not have any physical health problems (including known bee allergies) that will make the class dangerous to me.
- I acknowledge there are live honeybee hives at the class location. Do not get close to our beehives without proper protection and one of our beekeepers.
- I will bring and wear a bee veil or jacket at minimum. Unless you are wearing a full bee suit, we suggest you wear thick pants and closed shoes (not flip flops or sandals)–boots are recommended.
- I will NOT wear perfume or anything with a strong scent.
- I assume the risk from any stings or accidents while I am attending the class, and I waive the right to sue Walnut Farm Bees LLC or the property location owners, or other participants, for illnesses (including death), and property loss arising from, but not limited to, participation in this beekeeping class.
By placing an order to reserve a class session, I am agreeing to the above Walnut Farm Bees LLC Liability Acknowledgement.